Ocean View, DE Weather
Current Job Postings
TOWN OF OCEAN VIEW
Reports To: Town Manager FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $62,000 - $98,000 Grade: 13
Performs a variety of accounting and financial functions by serving as the day-to-day financial administrator of the Town of Ocean View. Works under the supervision of the Town Manager and supports the Town Manager in the administration of the Town’s finances in the areas of budget preparation, financial reporting, audit management, investment of public funds, and financial records management. Supervises the Finance Department staff.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees and assists in the preparation and presentation of all financial and budgetary matters (e.g., monthly and annual financial reports, operating and capital budgets, all Town investments, etc.). Manages and oversees the Town’s real estate assessments and property tax billing system as maintained by the Accountant.
- Manages and oversees funds received and disbursed and accounts payable and receivable as prepared and processed by the Accountant.
- Responsible for the administration of the payroll system as prepared and processed by the Accountant: including preparation of bi-weekly payroll; payroll tax and reporting and deposits; State pension and 457 (b) plan contributions; maintenance of employee leave records; preparation of quarterly payroll reports and annual preparation of W-2 and 1099 forms; including processing worker’s compensation claims and other requests for payroll information.
- Calculates semi-annual compensation payments made to Mayor and Council based on Town Charter.
- Ensures all Town revenues are properly and promptly deposited in Town accounts as prepared and processed by the Accountant.
- Works with the Town Manager to prepare the annual operating and capital budgets for submission to Town Council.
- Develops financial studies and plans; forecasts, estimates, and monitors the financial condition of the Town (including revenues, expenditures, receivables and liabilities); researches and recommends cost-saving measures, prepares special reports as needed by Town Manager.
- Responsible for oversight of the annual property tax process, including but not limited to reconciliation of assessment records to town records (updates and reassessments), posting of tax roll, appeal process, issuing of tax bills.
- Establishes and documents internal accounting control procedures and ensures compliance with Town ordinances and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Coordinates the Town’s annual financial audit activities. Prepares Management’s Discussion and Analysis (MD&A) for annual audit and works with the independent auditors to ensure accurate financial statements are prepared and the audit is efficiently completed.
- Maintains documentation for all investment accounts and reserve/trust funds. Works with investment agents and/or banking institutions to invest Town funds as needed.
- Responsible for oversight of the accounting and billing system for the Town’s Water System. Responsible for continuing disclosure requirements for the General Obligation Bonds, Series of 2018, as established by the SEC.
- Performs other financial management duties and reports as assigned by the Town Manager.
- Prepares reports required by various Federal and State agencies; including audits from those agencies as may be requested.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Education, Training, Certification and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business, with a minimum of five years of increasingly responsible accounting/financial or auditing experience. CPA preferred. Prior municipal experience with fund accounting is highly desired. Must have a high level of ethics and integrity.
- Knowledge of:
- financial administration, accounting, budgetary principles and practices, audit, and payroll regulations;
- fund accounting;
- inter-governmental and grant related activities; and
- working knowledge of Edmunds & Associates municipal accounting software (MCSJ) is desirable.
- Ability to:
- utilize appropriate software programs and packages;
- learn and work with computerized property tax, billing, general ledger and licensing programs;
- research public finance issues and policies;
- prepare written and oral financial and analytical reports;
- communicate effectively orally and in writing with Town staff, elected officials, and the public;
- make decisions independently; and
- work well with and effectively supervises Finance Department staff.
- Skills: Must be highly skilled in the use of appropriate software or packages and computer networked applications.
This position is sedentary in nature and is located in an office environment.
Physical activities include walking, standing or sitting for extended periods of time and operating computer and other office equipment.
Attendance at evening meetings and other activities during times outside of “normal” business hours will be required.
Employee must be able to report for duty on an “on call” basis during emergency situations.
Employee must be bondable and pass a background check and drug test.
Employee must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
Note: This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the Town of Ocean View and the employee and is subject to change by the Town of Ocean View as the needs of the Town and the requirements of the job change.
Date: August 23, 2018
Posted: Aug-22-2018 More Details...